Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim

Comments

• I'm a fanboy then. I don't care, the series has a pretty interesting history with a lot of depth.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh no doubt it has some interesting reading material. There is just so much of it. It's more like reading a library than a book because there is literature all over the place. I really want to read everything the people are saying but like you said it's easy to spend hours reading. That's something I'll have to do at a later time. Where I'm at right now it seems like everyone wants to tell me a short story. It's so crazy.
  • edited December 2011
    So whats the basic storyline?
  • Of Skyrim? "Oh shit, dragons." That's about the most basic you can get.
  • What I've got from it where Im at right now:

Theres an Empire, and a band of rebels named Stormcloaks. Its set in Norwa -- I mean Skyrim.
    Empire and Stormcloaks are throwing down because a rebel yelled @ the Empire king and made him explode, now they're raiding eachothers towns and raping and pillaging.
    Then there are these elves, who made the Empire their bitch, but are still allowing them to keep sovereignty for unknown reasons. Then dragons appear and nobody knows why, probably yet another force to throw into this 4-way brawl.

• Dont forget Zeal, you play a prisoner again :)
  • edited December 2011
    Oh no doubt it has some interesting reading material. There is just so much of it. It's more like reading a library than a book because there is literature all over the place. I really want to read everything the people are saying but like you said it's easy to spend hours reading. That's something I'll have to do at a later time. Where I'm at right now it seems like everyone wants to tell me a short story. It's so crazy.
    I think I remember hearing that Todd guy who is the main elder scrolls guy at bethesda saying the thing about elder scrolls history/lore is that there is no set story. What you read in-game is the different people/races versions of the lore and history...kinda like in real life everyone has their own versions.

So dont expect to read and know all about it. You will read versions and have to put your own together.

....I think :-))
  • Oh no doubt it has some interesting reading material. There is just so much of it. It's more like reading a library than a book because there is literature all over the place. I really want to read everything the people are saying but like you said it's easy to spend hours reading. That's something I'll have to do at a later time. Where I'm at right now it seems like everyone wants to tell me a short story. It's so crazy.
    I think I remember hearing that Todd guy who is the main elder scrolls guy at bethesda saying the thing about elder scrolls history/lore is that there is no set story. What you read in-game is the different people/races versions of the lore and history...kinda like in real life everyone has their own versions.

So dont expect to read and know all about it. You will read versions and have to put your own together.

Nah, the games are linked together on one timeline that spans hundreds of years. Events from previous games leave their marks on present and future games.
  • Of Skyrim? "Oh shit, dragons." That's about the most basic you can get.
    Pretty much. Im pretty tired of the boners everyone has for dragons myself. I am sure we will turn full circle and go to magic or vampires again at some point.
  • Oh no doubt it has some interesting reading material. There is just so much of it. It's more like reading a library than a book because there is literature all over the place. I really want to read everything the people are saying but like you said it's easy to spend hours reading. That's something I'll have to do at a later time. Where I'm at right now it seems like everyone wants to tell me a short story. It's so crazy.
    All the games have been like that, with exception of TES: Arena. That was actually my first RPG game on a computer, and it was so cool at the time. That game had a basic story of trying to save the empire by collecting the 8 pieces of the Staff of Chaos and using them to destroy the big bad guy.

The great thing about The Elder Scrolls is that you can choose was you want to do. I never really cared for the lore, so I rarely read any of those books. Many people get enjoyment out of it, so they do. You can play the game the way you want, and make yourself the kind of character you want, so it allows you to really customize your game experience. I always try to build a really strong character that goes around kicking bad guy ass, and that's where I get my enjoyment from.

Speaking of, I finally got around to playing Skyrim and I really enjoy it so far. It feels a lot like Oblivion, which isn't a bad thing. The spell casting system is kick ass. The one thing is that the leveling system makes it difficult to become a jack of all trades early. For example if I try to focus on using magic, swords, and arrows, I will have difficulty in some fights. I'm sure if it's anything like it's previous games, there are ways to make yourself overpowered that I haven't found just yet. I am looking forward to finding the guilds.
  • Fade, the mages guild and fighters guild don't exist anymore. They've been replaced (the replacements are kind of narrow in their content, in my opinion). The thieves guild is still around as well as the dark brotherhood, though.
  • i read like the first 1/2 page of this thread....

and when I played d2 hardcore it was to have good, strong characters that could beast other people. I like to put myself against someone, I'm competitive. and learning new ways to fight and use different elements of battle was what I tried to do
    D2 was fucking amazing, and then on Hardcore hahahahahahhaa, losing my top level!!! NOOOO

Nah, the games are linked together on one timeline that spans hundreds of years. Events from previous games leave their marks on present and future games.
    Yes but there is no set 100% right version of events, each of the races etc have their own versions of what exactly happened.

• Fade, the mages guild and fighters guild don't exist anymore. They've been replaced (the replacements are kind of narrow in their content, in my opinion). The thieves guild is still around as well as the dark brotherhood, though.

:( That's unfortunate. Every time I play a TES game I always head straight to the mages guild and complete that quest line. In Daggerfall, becoming the Arch-Mage of the Mages Guild was pretty much the key to becoming god-like and creating your weapons in a way you wanted them to be.

I'm sure it's still really good though whatever they replaced it with. The Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was pretty much the high point of the game, so I'm glad they left that in.

Right now, I just crafted a bunch of Dwarven stuff so I look like a badass Golden Knight. I duel wield long swords and use magic mostly. I tend to summon a lot of weapons and critters to help me out. I think my next character will be strictly a mage and I'll focus entirely on that path, since the spell casting system has really made me love the combat system in this game.
  • Its now a mage college, you can still become the arch-mage but the questline is a little short.
  • I haven't done the Dark Brotherhood questline in Skyrim yet. But I've done the others and I think I liked the Thieves guild questline the most, with the mages guild replacement coming in second. You may have already noticed, but you don't need the mages guild for enchanting in Skyrim. You can do that in pretty much any town and even in some dungeons and houses in the wilderness, as long as you have the soul gems and some known enchantments.

Speaking of which, I was kind of disappointed by the enchantment system in Skyrim. You're limited much more than you used to be, because there are only a few types of enchantments and some can only be put on specific pieces. On top of all that, there's less equipment slots, so that's even less stuff you can wear with enchantments. There's what, 6 armor slots (7 if you use a shield) compared to like 12-13 in Morrowind? And a lot of the gear I tended to use from quests and such was much better than anything I could enchant, even with 100 skill and the double enchantment perk (and enchanting potion). Maxing out enchanting was a waste of time and perks, for me at least.

I did like the alchemy system though. You don't need to max the skill to learn ingredient properties, just a little trial and error. It's a good way to get tons of gold and levels if you find the right mixtures.
  • I forget now the manner of doing it, but ir involves +alchemy armor to create +enchanting potion and make better +alchemy gear. Make +enchanting potions and use em to make +smithing gear. Throw in some fortify smiting potions and you can two or three shot dragons.

of course that takes out all the fun, but it was fun to play arund with
  • I can do that, I have 100 alchemy smithing and enchanting

just for fun i drank 3 potions and made a sword that does 533 damage per hit

if i wanted i could make it do hundreds of thousands and enchant stuff to fortify magic and heath etc to hundreds of thousands but its just stupid.
  • wow what magic/shout is that
  • Some guy in the comments said it's the Ice Master Spell.
  • thats how I maxed smithing, except I enchanted all the daggers and sold them for profit which also raised my enchanting to 100

• Did they nerf the enchanting/alchemy trick? I cant get super potions anymore they cap at 1011% :-(

Lews/Dank and any other PC gamers. Any good graphics card recommendations?
  • I'm on a low budget setup and only have an hd 4650. It seems the NVidia GTX cards are very popular with people that are running at max graphics.
  • Did they nerf the enchanting/alchemy trick? I cant get super potions anymore they cap at 1011% :-(

Lews/Dank and any other PC gamers. Any good graphics card recommendations?
    Price range?

• I use a GTS 450, which is like the red-headed stepchild of the newish nvidia cards. But it works well enough and was pretty cheap.
  • edited December 2011
    not actually sure about price range, a few people have said get a least a 570, but the 580 and 590 are RIDICULOUS prices
  • Yes. If you motherboard and PSU support CrossfireX or SLi you should consider splurging. Then when prices drop you can buy a second one and be good to go again.

Tom's Hardware has the best reviews. http://tomshardware.com
  • Get ATI Qwj...its cheaper and more value for money. Also clockspeeds are similar and just checking benchmarks half the price would get you something that would be only 10% less fps than an Nvidia.

6970 is the cheapest and best value for money, especially if you live in the UK, its less than £180 now for a 2GB card. Also since most modern cards support eyefinity, crank up a few more monitors :P An LG 22' is only like £89 atm...cant remember where but saw it a few days ago.
  • edited January 2012
    I payed about $60 bucks at Fry's for this card a year ago. An HD 4650 with a VCool VGA cooler right underneath it will put up a decent fight. It had heat issues with the cheap ass fan on the card so I had to add one under it. Card runs so cold now you would think it was in the refrigerator. In the cards defense it only ran into issues on Civ V which was released in such a poor state that it was destroying cards for months. A feat which defies logic but I saw the debate and experienced it myself. Had I not monitored the temperature on that card it would have destroyed itself. I have a cheap ass processor 2.7 ghz dual core w 4 gigs of ram. It's all extremely low budget while I save for what I want. The only games that have given me issues are GTA IV, Civ V and Skyrim. I can cut down the drawing distance in GTA for a fairly smooth game. Civ V is fine after patches. On Skyrim it will run fine until I get on a horse. At that point it doesn't matter what I do it freezes so much that abandoning the horse is the only way to achieve sanity. I'll find a cliff and kick it down. I bought Shogun 2 last week and that runs like a hot knife through butter. If you buy something more updated than this toaster I'm running you should be good 2 go.