Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mob vs growth - r51

Comments

• Perm growth.
  • Perm growth.
    will get you rolled out
  • edited July 2012
    All day every day.
  • Wouldn't offensive be even better since Bcart removed extra casualties, MA thing and gave it extra honor? Sounds like a very solid sector state now.
    MA thing only affects you, so you dont gain MA if you get hit

• Mind, check your pf inbox,will ya? :D
    I still don't believe you and the inability to change sector state during newbie on S2. I think you just saw the tiny server size and wanted to roll out heavy early.
  • Qw, the MA thing and extra losses were removed according to the guide. So now offensive is just +10% land gain and +25% honor. That still economically worse then growth but its something that could actually be pretty good if you are going for breaking a top 10 player. Get extra land, hurt him more, get super high honor considering you are already in 90% bracket and you'll have to cut down on exploration anyways cause you'll be building on all that land so 24 hours without growth won't matter.

Defensive looks pretty usable too. I was actually considering using it on FBSK the other day. As a Forest with 30% res, my pop would give me extra 10% on overall military. If I send out 60% of my army and then go defensive, that adds almost 25% military to the 40% I'll have left back home. FBSK doesn't have multies and probe farms so combined with high probe count and probe shields up, kidnappings aren't an issue. More over if someone wants to hit you, they would have to SOM and SOK you and then you could still kidnap a bunch of pop forcing them to either fail, get stats again or send substantial overkill.

Mobilization however looks pretty crap nowadays. Emergency use only.
  • The guide is terribly outdated. Offensive still does not afford you MA protection.

Offensive should only be used outside of wars for special purposes... if you get caught in a war in Offensive your entire sector is going to get rolled the fuck out.
  • if you pulled well away at the top offensive would be awesome.
  • Just face it, your stuck with mech... Your stuck in growth lol
  • Mobilization should never be a long term state. I once wrote a huge response as to why this is true, but growth is better. Offensive is better for grabbing - if used safely. For an individual this is good, but for an entire sector it is not. (Due to newbie factor or gang bang factor).

Mobilization is more-so to produce a short-burst of units. This is especially useful when it is preemptively planned so a money saving technique can be used. Long term, mobilization has no benefits aside from double soldier production. This is because your income limits your long-term production; production time does not. This fact, of course, makes it useful for DW and other naturally low population builds.

Mobilization is something you use when you need a quick push of units to stay safe or to mass quickly. Jones summed it up pretty well back there too. A well built kingdom should have the flexibility in population to adapt otherwise. Mobilization should be used for a short term, quick-fix adjustment. For example, as a top player in response to another another player massing a ton of offensive units (such as TFs). The natural response would be to stop exploring and pump out a ton of defense yourself. Likewise, to dictate pace of the game, a top player could switch into mobilization after a money save and roll competition.
  • if you have hoards of money, mobi is best
    if you dont have hoards of money, mobi is best

theres the truth, spread it around, never take fade's worth of words, because we get a bunch of noobs spouting his crap, not knowing anything about it, and we get stupid sector states of growth 24/7 all round without actually thinking through of the mechanics and everything the variables play into it

• Meh, I've always hated mobilization mode anyways so not really sad to see it go. As someone who robs a lot, the whole 5 probe attempts thing was a serious pain in the ass. You can either build a kingdom or have no life/sleep. And every sector "had" to go mobi.
  • whats painful is the low pop nubs who completely rely on mobi, thats sort of a pain when they have no idea how to build and must tailor to only mobi in order to even do okay in sk
  • The real problem is that you don't know what you are talking about

come back when you can screenshot a highlighted kingdom that you own located directly under kingdom name for either top 100 networth/ land
  • edited July 2012
    Mobilization should never be a long term state. I once wrote a huge response as to why this is true, but growth is better. Offensive is better for grabbing - if used safely. For an individual this is good, but for an entire sector it is not. (Due to newbie factor or gang bang factor).

Mobilization is more-so to produce a short-burst of units. This is especially useful when it is preemptively planned so a money saving technique can be used. Long term, mobilization has no benefits aside from double soldier production. This is because your income limits your long-term production; production time does not. This fact, of course, makes it useful for DW and other naturally low population builds.

Mobilization is something you use when you need a quick push of units to stay safe or to mass quickly. Jones summed it up pretty well back there too. A well built kingdom should have the flexibility in population to adapt otherwise. Mobilization should be used for a short term, quick-fix adjustment. For example, as a top player in response to another another player massing a ton of offensive units (such as TFs). The natural response would be to stop exploring and pump out a ton of defense yourself. Likewise, to dictate pace of the game, a top player could switch into mobilization after a money save and roll competition.
    Finally some real player stepping up and stating the obivious, everyone who hugs mobil is an idiot, you benefit way more from growth or mobil/growth rotationals

edit: ohi ther FTB, how you doing?
  • please explain to me how one who hugs mobil is an idiot
  • Flazer your limiting yourself from growing. check the top land / nw kingdoms, almost all of them are in growth.

there is a reason for that:
    1) Growth kingdoms can explore cheaper and thus are all max-exploring, gaining about 20% of their land per day (max explore = 10% of your land at a time, but stacking of that in 24h period makes you get significantly more)
    2) Growth kingdoms have 10 max probe attempts stored, assuming everyone sleeps at some point in life for more then 5 hours, this helps out

now lets see why mobilisation kingdoms would do better:
    1) they have a higher soldier production
    2) their barracks hold slightly more units, thus you could have more other buildings, assuming that you can actually build anything other then barracks to support your evergrowing militairy

now lets see grabbings
    Growth has 4 warleaders, this gives you either more firepower due to the warleader advantage or this gives you another hit if there is suicider lands, 4 WL's = 4 hits rather then 3.....

Mobilisation has 3 warleaders, this means that your extra troops have small disbonus over the extra-wl-growth. if you find a suicider, you can only hit 3x

now to compensate for the explore-gains of growth a mobilistation kingdom has to hit at least 20% of his size +whatever a growth kd can grab. assuming the growth kds are hitting borderline bashes you would have to hit at least your own size to keep up

tl;dr: exploring is still an awesomestrat
  • thanks for the reply, Ill make one shortly
  • Flazer has upgraded to trolling level: Master, never thought Id see the day. They grow up so fast :(

Also stop being turd burglars just cause a good player tells you growth ftw. You can't stay ahead in growth, the cost of exploring is good before 2500 land. After that, it seriously cuts into your military production.

In an ideal world you'd never need mobi, but the fact of it is when other offenses start rolling mobi, you'll be easy prey if you dont follow suit.

Moreover, players are doing perma-mobi every round ive played in the past couple years. A swap to growth could set you back enough to be rolled, and being rolled in growth is a lot like taking it in the bum.

Some players get away with growth+exploring but then they rarely make big hits and thats just boring.
  • How about I say what everyone seems to be too stubborn or arrogant to say... growth and mobi are situational. Each state depends on the kind of KD being built and neither state is absolutely dominate over the other. This should be the end of the argument but I doubt it.
  • Haha that is the assumption Tyrsis, whats being debated is when each is useful and such.
  • Flazer has upgraded to trolling level: Master, never thought Id see the day. They grow up so fast :(

Also stop being turd burglars just cause a good player tells you growth ftw. You can't stay ahead in growth, the cost of exploring is good before 2500 land. After that, it seriously cuts into your military production.

In an ideal world you'd never need mobi, but the fact of it is when other offenses start rolling mobi, you'll be easy prey if you dont follow suit.

Moreover, players are doing perma-mobi every round ive played in the past couple years. A swap to growth could set you back enough to be rolled, and being rolled in growth is a lot like taking it in the bum.

Some players get away with growth+exploring but then they rarely make big hits and thats just boring.

read better i never said growth all the way, i just said that mobil all the way is a wrong choice, i actually suggested rotations before, 4-3 or 5-2 seem good rotations (4 days growth/3mobil, 5growth/2mobil), add extra mobil before war

staying in mobil just because you can is honestly not good

• Euphoria and why is that? simply cause of the barracks capacity fluxing? its actually not that strange to go for a mixed state approach
  • edited July 2012
    duck
  • The same shit as everyone else that anyone important already knew.
  • .... Long term, mobilization has no benefits aside from double soldier production. This is because your income limits your long-term production; production time does not. This fact, of course, makes it useful for DW and other naturally low population builds.
    Finally some real player stepping up and stating the obivious, everyone who hugs mobil is an idiot, you benefit way more from growth or mobil/growth rotationals

SO anyone playing DW SHOULD HUG MOB.... just saying
  • 10:51:26 ZxBiohazardZx (2:10) - its about 2 kds filling the exact same slot due to having the same IP and some packetscrambling in the tick

this right here is one of the many idiotic things biohazzard has said this round. please take no notice of anything that comes out of this mans brain
  • next time read/see the whole convo and see how uni chat should not be taken too serious

July 12, 10:49:56 some big niggers (1:20) whats the bug to create a ghost KD? what do you have to do
    July 12, 10:50:34 Hoisin (1:20) you have to create a kingdom with a name called Blank
    July 12, 10:50:43 Hoisin (1:20) at exactly on the hour
    July 12, 10:50:52 ZxBiohazardZx (2:10) lol
    July 12, 10:51:00 Hoisin (1:20) while drinking a pint of water with your eyes closed, hopping on one leg
    July 12, 10:51:18 Hoisin (1:20) if it didnt work, you used the wrong leg
    July 12, 10:51:25 Hoisin (1:20) try the other
    July 12, 10:51:26 ZxBiohazardZx (2:10) its about 2 kds filling the exact same slot due to having the same IP and some packetscrambling in the tick
    July 12, 10:51:51 Hoisin (1:20) bio is lying! he is tryin to make u look stupid
    July 12, 10:51:54 Hoisin (1:20) ignore him!
    July 12, 10:52:09 Hoisin (1:20) start hopping!!!
    July 12, 10:52:56 Donald Trump (1:2) it happened because a premmy group got screwed up
    July 12, 11:29:26 DanJ (1:14) lol

• Perm mob is retarded simply because all it does is half the amount of pop you need for training soldiers. Over a period of days it does not help you train any more troops than normal because money is still limiting factor

How is it none of you understand, if you can train 2x as many solders in mob, set your kingdom up with maybe 60% as many residents as you would in growth, the other 40% go to star mines.

You will train more soldiers, make more money, grow faster...

Am I missing something here? This seems like the obvious answer.