Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE: The Thin Line between Game and RL

edited March 2012 in General
https://news.google.co.uk/news/story?q=eve+mittani&hl=en&prmd=imvnsufd&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=705&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ncl=dPuQp9RLTwyHG4MoCVoECWehONpSM&ei=-Ih1T9CEDIHH0QWd5um1DQ&sa=X&oi=news_result&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQqgIwAA

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=86980

Incident that is receiving media coverage in the gaming community and putting pressure on Eve's game makers CCP.
The line between game and real life has been crossed, another form of cyber bullying of course that used to be encouraged by CCP (griefing) is now stirring up a shit load of controversy.

Comments

• ...only a 30 day ban? You have got to be kidding me.
  • so what did he actually do? told someone to kill themselves online? doesnt that happen in sk everyday?
  • Lynog, you jerk, go abort yourself. Better late than never.
  • Really though, the game is awesome for trolls. Two cracked articles about the 7 biggest dick moves in mmorpgs and 7 more elaborate dick moves in online gaming are littered with eve stories. My favorite is the guy who started as a loans guy, eventually made a huge bank, and walked one day with all the money (over $100k in real life equivalent). The internet is both less and more dangerous than real-life, primarily because you can't get punched in the face.
  • alls i read was a guy apologising for being drunk
  • edited March 2012
    Some fucknut who is the President of some gay panel on this EVE game basically trolled someone out, and was bragging about how he "destroyed this guys fleet" and then the guy sent him a really lame message about how he had just got divorced and was suicidal. So President Fucknut mocked him in some EVECON shit and everyone lol'd - then in the Q&A the loser got brought up again and Pres Fucknut was drunk and he gave out the guys contact info and told people to encourage him to kill himself.

*boom* - Media jibbed over it, Pres Fucknut posted an apology but got banned for 30 days and has been DEMOTED from President to fucking Conquistador or something queer. And (lol) has been banned from running in the next election.

All in all, from the 20 minutes I spent reading about it at work and watching videos, it just made me thankful I've got myself laid and don't spend my life like those wastards. If you want quick lols just type in "EVE" and look at the state of some of those life forms.
  • what a sad prick. Sounds like something Gayr would do
  • Yeah some of those are hilarious. And as a protest, the fucknut's corporation is planning a massive rape of the game's most major system for trade (about 40-50% of all trade ingame). So everyone is staying clear of that system for the weekend, ill be there in my covert ship to watch the action tho.
  • Really though, the game is awesome for trolls. Two cracked articles about the 7 biggest dick moves in mmorpgs and 7 more elaborate dick moves in online gaming are littered with eve stories. My favorite is the guy who started as a loans guy, eventually made a huge bank, and walked one day with all the money (over $100k in real life equivalent). The internet is both less and more dangerous than real-life, primarily because you can't get punched in the face.
    Haha i remember that, it made the banking system defunct, one player completely ruined the bank system ingame by taking everything. It was way over $100k + in real life, he took like 20 trillion isks...from my current calc of plexs against real cash, it'd be about 750k dollars...real cash.
  • Whats his endgame though? I dont imagine he could "cash out", though the lulz behind that are maaaasssive
  • edited March 2012
    Well there's no EVE official rules governing banking. I mean, I imagine there were a lot of formalized rules amongst the community but, hell, we have first hand experience it only takes one really powerful person to bend the rest over a barrel.

Edit: So yea, he just, took the money.
  • The games sucks.
  • People here who obsessed long enough over their KD building would like it. It's mostly math and accounting anyway...
  • what a sad prick. Sounds like something Gayr would do
    ...you gave out my real name to someone that had an agenda against me on AIM you fuckwit while making homophobic comments about me. It is LITERALLY something you have done.
  • edited March 2012
    Jerry Eriksson eats sheman peen
  • ...you openly called yourself a sad prick :D
  • Whats his endgame though? I dont imagine he could "cash out", though the lulz behind that are maaaasssive
    Basically he over time got people to trust his bank, having employed ingame players to assist him. Became a large corporation and as the CEO, he just decided to one day take all the cash in the account and run away with it, trade it to one of his other characters (which only he knew) and let his known character become inactive.
    I doubt it would have been that hard. People have bought sk accounts before... Every game seems to have an avenue of some sort to exchange in game currency/items for real money.
  • edited March 2012
    That dude should just admit he was a dick to the dude and crossed the line. All his bs about the liquor seems like a total cop out. It's too political I just think you should admit you made a mistake and will be a better person in the future. To me it's some game I have no interest in but to him it's some huge f'ing deal I guess. It's not real like SK or anything he needs to grow the hell up.
  • That dude should just admit he was a dick to the dude and crossed the line. All his bs about the liquor seems like a total cop out. It's too political I just think you should admit you made a mistake and will be a better person in the future. To me it's some game I have no interest in but to him it's some huge f'ing deal I guess. It's not real like SK or anything he needs to grow the hell up.
    ... You should read his forum post. That's exactly what he did.
  • That dude should just admit he was a dick to the dude and crossed the line. All his bs about the liquor seems like a total cop out. It's too political I just think you should admit you made a mistake and will be a better person in the future. To me it's some game I have no interest in but to him it's some huge f'ing deal I guess. It's not real like SK or anything he needs to grow the hell up.
    He made a public apology, then a private apology, claimed to send all the cash he had on him (10bil...thats not a lot trust me, for someone with his pedigree, thats pretty low), and resigned (got kicked actually) from CSM Chair (the middle line between game developers and players, sorta a voted council by ingame players to represent them)
  • All in all, it's one HELL of a queer game.
  • I do agree, its a game that promotes infighting and griefing. A lot of cocky bastards on there, had a massive argument with 2 twats last night in my own corp.
  • edited March 2012
    i remember someone arguing with me that eve was a good game, its the worst shit you could play, spend all your money on shit just for it to explode in your virtual reality face

• edited March 2012
    I have a hard time believing people playing SK shittin all over EVE. Yea, I know SK is way way more casual but still kettle calling pot black.
  • can you shut up noob, no one needs your shitty input
  • eve is a dumb game.
  • can you shut up noob, no one needs your shitty input
    Fuck you.
  • edited April 2012
    i remember someone arguing with me that eve was a good game, its the worst shit you could play, spend all your money on shit just for it to explode in your virtual reality face

Clearly you are ignorant and quiet simple minded. Go play your carebear games with no pvp. Eve is unique because it promotes you to risk losing everything you own. As in life (and poker), don't risk what you can't afford to lose. Go play your noob LoL and WoW, where if you get popped, you get to keep your valuables, in Eve, you lose years of gaming in 1 minute and thats where its fun, its a risk that is more enjoyable than carebear gaming. You're probably that noob score whore who camps with a sniper on FPS games and spawn shoot players and then boast 'hey guys! look i dont rush but my score is uber'.

Oh wait just remembered, you're the problem with SK :).....LOOOK MY SCORE! ITS AWESOME. Lets let the cheaters/NAPs live, mmm, therefore they can help me.
  • eve is a dumb game.
    Ponies should be tortured.