Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spartan military tactics and the state of War in the game in general

edited March 2015 in General
So yeah, it seems that the honorable spartans have fallen from their days of glory in military tactics. As most should know, there's a war going between Sparta and Vortex, and the current situation seems to be this:

Sparta started randomly shotgunning sectors, first 1:16, now 1:5, not caring whether or not their hits were a bash or a normal hit or whoever the target was. I do dare say, when the enemy alliance you're fighting is under 2/3 of your size in NW, how can you feel so threatened that you have to resort to random bashings to fight them? What happened to the game that it's suddenly ok to go to war with another alliance to justify anyone bashing others, often possible new and/or inexperienced players purely for selfish gains? Wars should be fought to gain clear targets, the current style of shotgunning is just pure war abuse and an excuse to farm land and honor.

My understanding is that there is an actual KT also in existence for Sparta, why aren't people killing that target, instead going for random members who haven't had anything to do with this war?

On the other side, Vortex has been working on getting down a normal KT, all was going normally, active hitters were getting sabotaged back, no hard feelings there, although at least a nice little taunting message would have been nice. Apparently though, no-one had the guts to actually organize a proper kill target fight to bring down the defenses of any targets. It took the suicide from a member of ODB (from whom there were already bashes against Vortex members when the war started) to bring down the defense of an active hitter enough for a Sparta member to break the Vortex hitter. The breaker needed to send soldiers along for the fight to do the hit, so if the earlier suicide hadn't happened, this hit wouldn't have been possible.

Enough about this war, onwards to more general issues.

Is this the way the wars are fought nowadays in SK? Is this really the way people want to play the game, instead of actually following the previously agreed on guidelines about Bashing and War abuse? It's quite apparent that the current bashers and abusers won't stop their actions by themselves. It's also quite apparent that current alliances aren't equipped and/or willing to handle these problems.

Thing is, players do have the power to change this. Everyone can think to themselves, "Is this the way I want to see the game played", because currently I'm seeing many new players being tired of the situation and thinking of suiciding and quitting, because there's nothing they can do against the bashing. If they try and talk to the abusers, they just get the response "oh sorry, such a terrible thing, but I'll continue anyway". If they try to go to the alliance for assistance, the only thing that might happen is someone bigger in the alliance does a normal hit on the aggressor, who can then continue on his way to bash again. If this sounds like something to be changed, raise your voices in the alliance/sector forums and here. If it feels like your alliance isn't handling things the way you'd want to see things done, vote for another sector leader, make yourself a new alliance and try rally people behind you for support.

And for all the big guys comparing their achievements from past rounds to try and decide who is the best SK player, take a look around you and think, why has the game lost so many players and come down to this? Because what I see is a lot of old faces with their personal vendettas against one another, dragging the whole universe around them to fight in their personal squabbles while everyone else has to suffer the consequences of a few bullies.

Please try and have a serious conversation for once on how war's should be fought, without ruining the game for innocent bystanders along the way.

Comments

• Shotgunning is a valid war option with strategic value. And it has been for a long time. I'd like to point out that Vortex started this war as the underdog.
  • I would understand shotgunning as a valid strategy, if most of the said sector was actually active in a war, but tell me, what's the strategic value of consantly bashing kingdoms who have only been hitting inactive kingdoms, and haven't participated in the war at all?
  • edited March 2015
    Please try and have a serious conversation for once on how war's should be fought, without ruining the game for innocent bystanders along the way.
    No.

Also, tldr.

Also, I think you were my SL and you take this game a little too seriously.
  • Yeah, I was your SL and had you killed for war-abuse, which you announced yourself that you'd rather war abuse for your own gain than actually try and change the things you thought were wrong with how the alliance was lead.

Is it really taking the game too seriously when it's very much a community-based game and you feel like the community seems to have sour teeth that no-one wants to pull out?
  • We've been warring literally all round, and vortex has been at us for most of that time. You get what you get when you poke that long and fail to follow through. What "honor" was there in doing 2 gbs on us? Or taking 1:15 when dude fled because he was RR? Vortex is a joke.
  • Shotgun is a valid option indeed. A very effective one too.

This is war, and in war, all is fair.

Also, 1.19 SL was PKed by multis and now Chicken's Pop Farm is 1.19 SL.

Vortex is indeed defending a cheater that uses UA and multi-ing to be able to RR.
  • Yeah, I was your SL and had you killed for war-abuse, which you announced yourself that you'd rather war abuse for your own gain than actually try and change the things you thought were wrong with how the alliance was lead.

Is it really taking the game too seriously when it's very much a community-based game and you feel like the community seems to have sour teeth that no-one wants to pull out?
    Lmfao
  • In a serious response to you :
    Shotgunning a sector is a valid war tactic. It is done to demoralize sectors that participate by making them all feel targeted. Its a scare tactic , bullying and bashing makes people feel the sting of war. It is a way to break them from participating and hurting the oppositions powerbase.

I personally dont care for this tactic because it is pretty ineffectual if people dont succumb to the morale destruction and continue to attack the main target. It also causes your forces to be spread all over and doesnt actually take out any kingdom.

To those currently being sector targeted, I know this sucks Ive been the subject of it before. This tactic is used to break your spirit...they cant really kill you in actuallity..its just a way to undermine your KD. my advice is harsh and unpalatable...dont GIVE IN..Quitting is what they want, its how to enda war and remove opposition. If you quit they win...stay up make your hits or fails..when you start to see the KTs go down then the pressure will be reversed. when the kts start to mount that have died the shotgun tactic starts to fail. people grumble because no one is dead only just a rack of beat up kds that now have absolutely nothing to lose and have now become martyrs or staunch hitters.

In short shotgunining is a short term tactic that seems plausible in the immediate and less worthy and demoralizing for the shotgunners over the long term as nothing is truly accomplished.

• edited March 2015
    Actually their top hitters are pretty battered too. You didn't think we'd just leave them be, did you ?

And it's not just a scare tactic. Every small KD grows during war due to the easy broken down land. Shotgunning reverses that effect. Every small KD shrinks, making their contributions ever smaller as their KD is a complete mess. You get people going powerless, over rax cap, able to train less soldiers, forced to make PPs, Rax n Res and no PFs, you hurt their income and they are forced to spend it on rebuilding land rather than leaving free land be and building military.

It's not just a morale tactic. It's an economical tactic too.
  • *insert pot calling kettle black*

Neither side of this war is innocent to any degree. Those parties know who they are. One in particular was called out very loudly and clearly for all to see in the PF's.
  • In the grand scheme of things, this is smart strategy by Sparta to eliminate Vortex in such a manor. There's 4 groups at the moment: Sparta, Bayou, Vortex and the outlining sectors.

It's within reasonable assumption that at some time there is going to be a Sparta vs Bayou war. Sparta clearing out it's rivals and all kingdoms that could come back to haunt them before the big fight is probably the smartest move of the round.

It's dirty for those on the receiving end, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
  • Did... did you really just Evan Almighty us? REALLY BEAN?! I TRUSTED YOU!
  • I've run wars with similar tactics, and they can be effective. I've given my guys 24-48 hour stints of time to just hit away, allowing the KDs in my alliance to build their KDs even during war.

I disagree with bean a little bit on the benefits of it though. It can actually spark activity in the alliance hat is receiving all of the random hits, as KDs that may not have been active may actually start contributing. They are also more likely to continue targeting the aggressive alliance after the war is over, especially if the aggressive alliance goes to war with someone else later. Sparta could end up finding themselves in a little bit of trouble when Bayou and Sparta war (assuming that does happen).

It's a strategy that can be very rewarding, but also very risky.
  • *insert pot calling kettle black*

Neither side of this war is innocent to any degree. Those parties know who they are. One in particular was called out very loudly and clearly for all to see in the PF's.
    Is that a pop at me??

• "Is this the way I want to see the game played"?

Good question Drake.
  • Drake, we did send a lot of taunting messages. You should ask loki ;)
  • Personally... as someone who just joined the game after years off, I have never run those kinds of war tactics in the past. It pushes people away from the game when there is already population problems
  • Personally... as someone who just joined the game after years off, I have never run those kinds of war tactics in the past. It pushes people away from the game when there is already population problems
    Multis do that bro

Multis do that bro

Ohhhhh ok so that make sense since you're doing both... it's ok Viva, your going to get yours
  • In the grand scheme of things, this is smart strategy by Sparta to eliminate Vortex in such a manor. There's 4 groups at the moment: Sparta, Bayou, Vortex and the outlining sectors.

It's within reasonable assumption that at some time there is going to be a Sparta vs Bayou war. Sparta clearing out it's rivals and all kingdoms that could come back to haunt them before the big fight is probably the smartest move of the round.

It's dirty for those on the receiving end, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
    Not to mention how much vortex loves to jump in on other people's fights. They've done it to us twice now, no reason to believe they wouldn't go for a third. Vortex made its rep for itself, get rid of these shits before they do it again
    Multis do that bro

Ohhhhh ok so that make sense since you're doing both... it's ok Viva, your going to get yours

No you fucking bellend , you said bashing in war puts people off

I said multis make people leave more

I don't multi and never have you little weasel , every one of
    My real friends know that however I just troll the fuck out of clowns on here
  • P.s does every one like my In game avy

I am so damn ugly that I only want people to see my back

( war trolling)
  • From our current KT:

I don't fully agree with decisions made by kittens/vortex leaders this round

Sure gave me a good laugh.
    Multis do that bro

No you fucking bellend , you said bashing in war puts people off

I said multis make people leave more

I don't multi and never have you little weasel , every one of
    My real friends know that however I just troll the fuck out of clowns on here
    wow so much anger from a little man, with little morals
  • The Final Solution to the Vortex Question

Not to mention how much vortex loves to jump in on other people's fights. They've done it to us twice now, no reason to believe they wouldn't go for a third. Vortex made its rep for itself, get rid of these shits before they do it again
    please elaborate on this...
    adb vs odb, we didn't do anything (kittens)
    we declared on sparta before and WarDen joined in
    we declared on sparta... so far no other parties involved, how did we "jump in" on "other people's" fight?
  • edited March 2015
    Vortex declared on adb, that was the first time aza was ktd. You wouldn't war Sparta without warden, which vulpes said. That's 2x
  • Vortex declared on adb, that was the first time aza was ktd. You wouldn't war Sparta without warden, which vulpes said. That's 2x
    2 problems with that
    1: when ADB existed, vortex did not
    2: vulpes never said yes to us before we started the war due to being coward :)

• Vortex declared on adb, that was the first time aza was ktd. You wouldn't war Sparta without warden, which vulpes said. That's 2x
    2 problems with that
    1: when ADB existed, vortex did not
    2: vulpes never said yes to us before we started the war due to being coward :)

Vortex ktd aza and wouldn't stop till we left adb, I remember because I screamed at req and since it wasn't kittens he said he couldn't stop it himself
  • Shotgun is a valid option indeed. A very effective one too.

This is war, and in war, all is fair.

Also, 1.19 SL was PKed by multis and now Chicken's Pop Farm is 1.19 SL.

Vortex is indeed defending a cheater that uses UA and multi-ing to be able to RR.
    1:19 SL deleted his account as he is too busy to play

not pked by multies

I pm my sector mates to get us back into an alliance