Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drones!

edited December 2015 in General
So I've found a hobby, it's fucking expensive, or can be, anyone else into Drones? And if so, any tips for beginners? I don't want to buy one already preassembled, I would much rather find the parts I want to design my own.

Comments

• just follow my easy 3 step process for building a drone:
    1. get all the pieces you needs to build a drone
    2. put them all inside your butt
    3. kill yourself

viola!
  • you should be a little more enthusiastic when creating a way to kill oneself. Use you're imagination stupid lol
  • Problem with them is they are passing laws and heavy regulations which could turn your time and money into a wall hanger.
  • Yeah, they passed legislation on dec1 where if the drone weighs over .55 lbs you must register it. What's amusing is that I live in the backwoods here in Houston. I can not imagine there ever being a problem at all.
  • .55lbs... like 250g??? I can see their concern. That much weight flying at 10mph, is sure to cause a catastrophe.
  • It's something like that, I only glanced over it today. But in all seriousness, how would any of this cause a catastrophe?
  • edited December 2015
    That was tongue in cheek m8...
    its like with fishing licenses mate... no other reason than to make money and control you.
  • That's what I was thinking. When I get mine built, all be damned if I'll register that shit. Fuck the fed!
  • That was tongue in cheek m8...
    its like with fishing licenses mate... no other reason than to make money and control you.
  • I thought it was you stop the Polish from eating all the fish?
  • edited December 2015
    can it carry any missiles?
  • edited December 2015
    Yeah, they passed legislation on dec1 where if the drone weighs over .55 lbs you must register it. What's amusing is that I live in the backwoods here in Houston. I can not imagine there ever being a problem at all.
    Yeah I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Vegas I can see the cops rolling up quick. In the backwoods you might scare some moonshiners,weed growers, or fisherman :)

• edited December 2015

• edited December 2015
    Imagine 1000 feet off the ground, a 2 pound drone hits the windshield of your helicopter (speeds varying). Could there be damage? You bet your ass.

Also, my friend is a state police officer and just had to arrest somebody for flying over somebody's outdoor shower this summer.
  • I want to know 2 things, how would there be any difference if it's registered or not to rather you could potentially harm an aircraft?

Second, I havnt seen a 2 lb drone yet, they are very light made of carbon fiber mostly, the propellers break off if it crashes. The only thing I believe it could harm is the engine itself, BUT even then, they would destroy that drone to dust.
  • edited December 2015
    haha yeah. Thats bullshit... Wonder if we have to get all those widdle birdies flyin around registered as well
  • haha yeah. Thats bullshit... Wonder if we have to get all those widdle birdies flyin around registered as well
    Wtf is a widdle birdy? Can you fly it 1000 feet in the air (aka airspace, aka where aircrafts fly)

I'm not trying to shit on anybody's hobby, and it is OK to have a different opinion last time I checked.
  • Good drones can fly .62 miles away. Nearly 10 football fields long lol
  • http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/15/dolbeer.birdstrikes/index.html

CNN: How big a problem are bird strikes?

Dolbeer: Every year, approximately 7,000 to 8,000 bird strikes are reported to the Federal Aviation Administration primarily by commercial airlines nationwide.
  • I'm not talking about commercial airlines, they are going so fast it doesn't matter, I'm talking choppers and low flying aircrafts that are much smaller. How about a medical chopper airlifting a patient out getting a drone smashed through it's windsheild?
  • edited January 2016
    I'm yet to be convinced that one of those super light-weight things would smash anything.. let alone a windshield.. or rotar-blades for that matter.
    And if we are talking low flying aircraft, there are a lot more birds flying at lower altitudes than up where the commercial jets fly. So..... sorry. It's all BS ( IMO of course )
  • I'm yet to be convinced that one of those super light-weight things would smash anything.. let alone a windshield.. or rotar-blades for that matter.
    And if we are talking low flying aircraft, there are a lot more birds flying at lower altitudes than up where the commercial jets fly. So..... sorry. It's all BS ( IMO of course )
  • I'm yet to be convinced that one of those super light-weight things would smash anything.. let alone a windshield.. or rotar-blades for that matter.