Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what now....

Comments

• If you are gona put it up bean you have to host it haha. There is probably not many people you want having access to your code and kd admin features.

Also remember what I said last time, you saw what making changes did, it may sound stupid but keeping it as a SK clone is probably the best idea.

Also bcart being inactive has always actually had a huge advantage on SK, the community has dealt with any ingame issues themselves and it made it stronger. Dont delete multies etc just let the players deal with it. Again sounds stupid but its true, plus those multi accounts beef up the player base and give people more to hit.

Of course deal with multi armies but dont just disable/delete them, if possible freeze their WLs/PAs and income and just let the players eat them up etc

All those little things helped sk turn into what it was.

If you need any help give me a shout, I am a linux sys admin who uses mysql etc
  • If you are gona put it up bean you have to host it haha. There is probably not many people you want having access to your code and kd admin features.

Also remember what I said last time, you saw what making changes did, it may sound stupid but keeping it as a SK clone is probably the best idea.

Also bcart being inactive has always actually had a huge advantage on SK, the community has dealt with any ingame issues themselves and it made it stronger. Dont delete multies etc just let the players deal with it. Again sounds stupid but its true, plus those multi accounts beef up the player base and give people more to hit.

Of course deal with multi armies but dont just disable/delete them, if possible freeze their WLs/PAs and income and just let the players eat them up etc

All those little things helped sk turn into what it was.

If you need any help give me a shout, I am a linux sys admin who uses mysql etc
    So much this
  • Bcarts code is hideous
    I know, BUT, the damn thing works.
    debatable
    How many years later? It's all outdated as hell, but for its time, it worked well.
  • The bugs...the bugs
  • i can help micromanage it from the inside...wouldnt play, though
  • I have uploaded the code and started setting it up on a free host, although there are some downfalls because they limit what is available in the functionality of php. I'll upgrade it to a better host in the new year, and just use a few work arounds where needed for now.

Most of the mechanics are similar to SK, planet types and such may be different due to the rounds of SK since I originally created this version. Check out the Game Manual as it has most of the formulas and such documented.

Why do games take so long to make?
    Even a simple game can take a hundreds or thousands of hours to code. On the client side the game needs a layout, images, buttons, etc to make it look decent. Double that effort is now required as mobile layouts are required to make anything appealing to the phone audience. Every site has a basic framework to manage users, sessions, signups, etc. Each function in the game has it's own complex script that is needed to make it work the way it should. Many of these scripts are in excess of 1,000 lines of code.

Any software company, game or web app related or what not have teams of people working full time jobs to build what seems such simple games and apps. There's a lot more than meets the eye, and given that this is not my career nor is it my entire pass time you can expect progress to be slow. If you want to see some progress, how about picking up some programming skill and helping create something instead of bitching about lack of progress or the state of SK. The amount of resources out there to learn is huge compared to when I first started in 1996, and it's not very hard at all. The amount of talented but lazy people in this community that have come and gone could have easily built many games that are better and more complex than SK but nothing ventured, nothing gained!
  • i'm in the talented but lazy pool :P
  • Yo #Bean. I can give you a block on my Dreamhost account. Should be a better host to put it on with full PHP, mySQL (or Postgre if that's your poison), and some Shell access.

Best part is that it allows for multiple users/logins, so we're not sharing SSH keys or anything.
  • I was going to suggest putting it on one of my AWS servers but I probably dont keep any of my own ones long enough I just test installing stuff like Magento 2 etc. Cant really put it on any clients server too haha and AWS isnt actually that cheap.

Have you looked into digital ocean?
  • Yo #Bean. I can give you a block on my Dreamhost account. Should be a better host to put it on with full PHP, mySQL (or Postgre if that's your poison), and some Shell access.

Best part is that it allows for multiple users/logins, so we're not sharing SSH keys or anything.
    If you'd like to set something up that would be great. All I need is a MySQL database and php >= 5.3, not sure if many hosts allow mod_rewrite but it definitely saves me a lot of editing to make links backwards compatible.
    What's your talent, tickling your bird?
    What's your talent, tickling your bird?
    lol...i'm impressively smarter than i show, or care to be...

so, lets try something...the idea of getting some programming skills amuse me...

wanna give me some directions to start from?
  • Read the tutorials @ http://www.w3schools.com/ for whichever languages you'd like to learn. I suggest start with a browse through html, the onto php then mysql. Once you learn php, every language (asp, C++, C#, java, etc) will follow the same concepts (if statements, loops, functions, variables, etc). If you fancy the design/artsy side of things more, then photoshop and html/css would be the route you may enjoy as you deal with the front end more so than the back end.
  • see...holy crap...all those codey words...no wonder the lazy part always wins...dont have a myspace account though...

for now i'll take this small html step

(jk about the myspace btw :P)
  • Mobile layout isn't far off, easily modified from the normal layout :)

• Looks good bean. If you need any help on the front end, let me know.
  • What kind of ddos protection will your game have?
    You can try to DDOS Dreamhost, but I'd be pretty pissed.
    I wouldn't be doing it. I'd just pay some Blackhat hacker to cause as much havoc as possible.
    I wouldn't be doing it. I'd just pay some Blackhat hacker to cause as much havoc as possible.
    I remember when I was 13 too.
  • GALAXIES ABLAZE
  • No site is 100% DDOS proof, it all depends on the amount of bandwidth and cpu power that is backing the website. There are protections that most sites do take to protect themselves, such as firewalls. Given that many services are going to a cloud based system for hosting, makes it increasingly more difficult to take down as well.
  • Yeah Bean... if you need graphics done, I can help... hit me up
  • edited December 2015
    GALAXIES ABLAZE
    Just signed up... Damn.. Though it's similar to SK... it does have a lot more options.
    I do have to think again. It hurts.

Rob, you mean like you paid Husgalz for the kds he grew for you?

Btw Please bring your bots back next round :). More this time!

P.s. Since you have so much to spend, can you please get rid of my PM. Thanks!

Don't worry zao they'll be back next round. Make sure you bank farm another kingdom next round so I can destroy it in 5 seconds and get a get a good laugh.
  • edited December 2015
    I'm in for GA bean.

ps.. typo from verif code page

An error has occured
    The verification code you hasve entered is incorrect.

Don't worry zao they'll be back next round. Make sure you bank farm another kingdom next round so I can destroy it in 5 seconds and get a get a good laugh.
    I didn't bankfarm. you just killed me for having a top offense. fgt.

I didn't bankfarm. you just killed me for having a top offense. fgt.
    Did I say zao or did I say arson retard?
  • edited December 2015
    I guess I could set up a second calc to work for yours :)

edit: created an account, loving the layout. If mobile version does go forward, I might actually be able to start playing once again!