Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newsroom

edited September 2011 in General
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

This will be changing a lot of science classes if true. :)

Comments

• edited September 2011
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/22/faster-than-light-particles-neutrinos

Additional article on this.

My question is, for all you science people out there, is the theoretical explanation behind this:
    Scientists at the Gran Sasso facility will unveil evidence on Friday that raises the troubling possibility of a way to send information back in time, blurring the line between past and present and wreaking havoc with the fundamental principle of cause and effect.

I don't understand why one particle moving slightly faster than light would suddenly open up time travel, and mess with cause and effect. I mean, it's not like it's moving backwards in time, it's still taking a measurable amount to go from here to there. therefore one thing is still happening before another. Wouldn't cause still come before effect, even if things go a tiny bit faster?
  • edited September 2011
    Bam
  • edited September 2011
    I agree with Ixta's question, just because a negligible particle can travel marginally faster than the speed of light doesn't mean it is traveling faster than time permits. Besides, a lot of what quantum physics deals with doesn't affect normal matter in the same way anyway (or at least from what i understand it doesn't).

http://yhoo.it/qYB6gW

This i found interesting, not from a fashion viewpoint but from a linguistic one. Language to me is very much a community activity, not an academic one, so while this is true:
    "It's now easier to understand complex calculus than some of the words commonly used by commentators..."
    I don't think it's wrong to use them.

Also: "Ideally we would like to drop all these amalgamations, but our hands are tied due to the terms being used on search engines,"

lol it's Google's fault :p
  • "Swacket" and "spants" are just lol, jorts, whorts, and mubes are even worse. I swear they make these things up to feel more elite and seperate from the mainstream population, but they just sound silly.

"We are still aiming to strip away as much of this new language as possible and use plain English to describe everything we sell," Watson said.
    ^Far more sensible
  • "Swacket" and "spants" are just lol, jorts, whorts, and mubes are even worse. I swear they make these things up to feel more elite and seperate from the mainstream population, but they just sound silly.

"We are still aiming to strip away as much of this new language as possible and use plain English to describe everything we sell," Watson said.
    ^Far more sensible
    The cool thing about discovering something is you get to name it. So some of these crazy names come from crazy people and sometimes people with a sense of humor.

My degree's are in biology and anatomy but I know some physics. Basically time=light. If you think about your age and calendar system it is all based on light. If you move toward or away from light (slightly speeding up light hitting you or moving away and slowing it down) you actually change time slightly. So moving toward light at a high speed can speed up time. Moving away from light rapidly will cause light to take longer to reach you thus slowing time down. Einstein thus devised in theoretical terms if you could move an object faster than light you could greatly alter time (go back in time for example). The math and theory is more complex than I can fully explain since this is not my scientific area of expertise. But this is that basics behind it all.
  • negneg
    edited September 2011
    No surprise really.

Physics is only a theory. It's acceptance is because it makes the most sense.

Must suck working in a field that's made up.

• The cool thing about discovering something is you get to name it. So some of these crazy names come from crazy people and sometimes people with a sense of humor.

My degree's are in biology and anatomy but I know some physics. Basically time=light. If you think about your age and calendar system it is all based on light. If you move toward or away from light (slightly speeding up light hitting you or moving away and slowing it down) you actually change time slightly. So moving toward light at a high speed can speed up time. Moving away from light rapidly will cause light to take longer to reach you thus slowing time down. Einstein thus devised in theoretical terms if you could move an object faster than light you could greatly alter time (go back in time for example). The math and theory is more complex than I can fully explain since this is not my scientific area of expertise. But this is that basics behind it all.
    In regards to the fashion stuff, you're far more charitable than I. You probably have a point, although I don't know how much of a discovery jean shorts are, and calling jean shorts jorts isn't terribly creative either. Spants though, that could totally be a joke; I can't see much other reason to make up a silly name for harem pants when they're well known by a specific name already.

Can anyone else confirm the sciency bit? I thought the theory of relativity only had to do with how fast you were moving, not whether you were moving towards or away from light.

• blah to worms :P Although I do find the deep sea research pretty interesting. I like the discovery shows they do with all the weird fish and creatures they find.
  • No surprise really.

I'm assuming your talking about theoretical physics. Give the man a cookie for stating that theoretical physics is based on theory lmao. If your talking about all of physics then I wouldn't admit it cause you will sound really uneducated and show extreme ignorance in science.
  • edited September 2011
    No surprise really.

My bad someone did fall for your troll lol
  • Damn it!!!!!! I hate u!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Most scientific concepts are based upon the era in which they were created and tbh should never be "concrete"

When Einstein stated no object can travel faster than the speed of lighf, its was the 50's (i believe.. Can remember the article so much atm) and there wasnt enough technology to disprove it, so it became fact..

Just like when the earth was declared flat, the technology wasnt around to disprove it until much later.. But when that technology became available, a new fact was created.

To say physics is theory, is in fact close to the truth.. Because we dont know what advancements in technology will become available to contradict what is regarded as fact now. Thats the beauty of all science, the ability to disprove what is known...
  • I agree totally with you pie. The problem is many people then use the word theory as if it is just some guess. "ohh that is just some theory". In reality a theory has enormous amounts of evidence and data to back it up. Nothing is absolute. If no one took theories (science) seriously we would have never come up with most of the technology and life changing things that brought us out of the stone age.
  • Physics is really just completely theoretical, after its proven, which is also a grey area, it usually gets incorporated into the various other fields of science, most notably nowadays into computer science. To me I think this could be a mathematical inaccuracy. Although as with god, until it's proven true or false, I always accept the impossible.
  • *shakes head and slowly walks away*

http://bit.ly/rhRR16

Biggest question: Will they check for fake money? :p
  • 120 McDonalds in the metro area of Milwaukee alone? That's absurd.
  • How many starbucks?
  • customers at a McDonald's in Cleveland who normally have to pay for parking will be given "free parking" today

pay to park at McDonalds? wtf...
  • Nah not really, there are more McDonald's in my hometown of Beijing than there are bus stops.
  • edited September 2011
    Makes me glad I live in the midwest. There's more real restaurants here than fast food joints. Even though Milwaukee is in the midwest, it's still a shithole.
  • http://bit.ly/qsGVW3

Yay the Ig Nobels! Although:

John Perry of Stanford University for his Theory of Structured Procrastination, which holds procrastinators can be motivated to do important things as long as they are doing them as a way of avoiding something even more important .

We must find this man and his research and destroy both of them. The world must never know his theory, it may be the end of procrastination as we know it!
  • edited September 2011
    Scientology has 92 posts wtf

EDIT: OT :P
  • edited September 2011
    The study found that attention and working memory suffer when people are focused on having to pee.

Really????? I would have never guessed!

This one however, is pure win:
    - Arturas Zuokas, the mayor of Vilnius, Lithuania, winner of the Peace Prize for showing that the problem of illegally parked luxury cars can be solved by running them over with an armored tank .

Wasabi fire alarm, or something similarly smelly is actually not too bad of an idea imo. There should definitely be these kinds of alternatives for deaf people esp. If they're sleeping, a flashing light wouldn't do the trick.
  • Scientology has 92 posts wtf

EDIT: OT :P
    OT4 baby! I'm taking over this town!

# of posts with legitimate content: 5.
  • Wait, you made 5 posts with legitimate content...you have me beat there.
  • http://bit.ly/qsGVW3

Yay the Ig Nobels! Although:

John Perry of Stanford University for his Theory of Structured Procrastination, which holds procrastinators can be motivated to do important things as long as they are doing them as a way of avoiding something even more important .

We must find this man and his research and destroy both of them. The world must never know his theory, it may be the end of procrastination as we know it!
    I always love the Ig Nobels, and the presentations are always so fun, did the little girl randomly walk up again to shoo them off?
  • Im going to find him.. Maybe tomorrow